so the date is rapidly approaching... and don't think we don't know it. it feels like we have a bajillion things to do in the next few weeks (and we do), and we're short on time, money, options, and time. did i mention how short on time we are on time?! it's getting kind of ridiculous.
so, that said, you're running out of time to pack. there's so much to think about. are you going to go hiking? are you gonna hang out by the river and sunbathe? are you going to whale watch along the coast? all of those things are fantastic ideas.
here are a few things to think about as you're packing your bag and figuring out your trip to big sur.
1. the grounds where we are getting married are all outdoors.
there is no respite for you if you get chilly or anti-social. and it's all grass, so please plan your outfit accordingly. high heeled shoes might be a bit of pain, since they can stick into the ground and just be generally annoying for most of the night. if you must wear heels i suggest wedges, chunky heels, espadrilles, or the like.
dave always wears sensible shoes. so should you.
2. listen to your mom and bring a jacket. it's gonna get cold.
see, it's not that hard to tote a jacket around in nature.
3. bring a musical instrument, if you're inclined. maracas, kazoos, guitars, drums, tambourines, whatever. music will ensue and you should take part!
4. there will be an arrival dinner on friday before the wedding. notice that i said "arrival" and not "rehearsal." it will be casual, everyone's invited, and it will also be outdoors, probably BBQ, maybe we'll play frisbee or croquet. mostly, we're just gonna catch up and have a few drinks. sound good? once again, sensible shoes and some sort of coat are encouraged.
5. shuttle service will run from the big sur lodge and a central location in carmel to and from the wedding site. schedules will be posted on friday so you can plan accordingly. there is NO parking at the wedding site, so please don't plan on driving yourself there. it just ain't gonna happen.
6. sunscreen's never a bad idea.
7. there is no cell phone service, internet, televisions, air conditioning, or substantial outdoor lighting at the big sur lodge. prepare yourself. if you need electronic entertainment, bring laptops, all the necessary chargers, and some DVDs or pre loaded entertainment. the rest of big sur is basically just as remote, so be prepared. it'll be a luxurious camping trip in the most beautiful spot in california. enjoy it, guys... who needs another rerun of law and order anyways?
8. there is one tavern in big sur, at the fernwood. please remember that dave and i are entitled to a teeny bit of special treatment for our special event, so please save us a seat if it's crowded.